I have made this Skillet-Fried Chicken for many years and it’s always a huge hit!
I have only been making it gluten free for the last year, but you honestly cannot tell the difference with the brand of all-purpose gluten free flour that I use: Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour.
I served this tonight with Crispy Baked Parmesan Green Beans and mashed potatoes. It was our first time trying these green beans and they were delish! Ours were not quite as crispy as the ones pictured on “Dashing Dish”, but we loved them the way ours turned out so much that I will just keep doing them the same way I did tonight. I followed her directions and baked them for the full 15 minutes, but I did not broil them for the additional 1-2 minutes.
Now for the chicken!
Skillet-Fried Chicken ~ Gluten Free or Traditional
- fryer chicken about 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 lbs ~ cut up
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour ~ gluten free if needed ~ I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose GF Flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons shortening or cooking oil
- 1 gallon-sized ziploc bag
- Rinse chicken pieces; pat dry with paper toweling. In a gallon ziploc: combine flour, salt, pepper, and paprika. Add a few pieces of chicken at a time; shake to coat.
- In a 12-inch skillet heat shortening or oil. Add chicken with meaty pieces toward center of skillet.
- Cook uncovered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Reduce heat; cover tightly. Cook 30 minutes.
- Uncover; cook 10-15 minutes more. Chicken is done when it is easily pierced with a fork and juices run clear. Drain chicken pieces on paper toweling.