This is a great way to get picky eaters to eat more veggies, too. Both of my children have always loved their veggies, but I have often served this dish when babysitting picky eaters. They inhale it, because it is similar to macaroni and cheese. It is easy to double and triple this recipe and take to potlucks, too.
This was the first casserole that “Buddy” ever ate (when he was about six years old… read on for details) and he absolutely LOVES it! In fact, this was the only casserole that he would eat for several years. He does not normally like foods touching or mixed together. He is getting better at eating a bigger variety of foods that are mixed as he is getting older and more adventurous in the last few years, but it definitely requires him to move out of his comfort zone. (This is just one part of his Asperger’s Syndrome.)
This recipe is frugal and super easy to remember, too. One of everything and just five ingredients!
Corn Cheese Macaroni Casserole
- 1 stick of butter ~ cut into about 6-8 chunks
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ~ I use Kraft sharp cheddar ~ use Gluten Free if necessary
- 1 cup dry macaroni ~ I use Pastariso Brown Rice Elbows ~ use Gluten Free if necessary
- 1 can cream corn
- 1 can corn ~ do NOT drain
- Mix all ingredients together in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour... stirring thoroughly halfway through baking period.