This is in memory of my mom Carol (1947-1987). She was the best cook I ever met!
It is a great comfort dish and I often take this to people who need a meal during a hard time. I usually serve with green beans, noodles or mashed potatoes. and gluten free baguette.
- 1 1/2 lbs. beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (or Gluten Free, if needed)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. shortening (not oil)
- 1 (16 oz.) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped (not drained)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (be sure yours is GF, if needed)
- Cut meat into 6 serving-size pieces. Combine flour and salt; pound 2 Tbsp. of the flour mixture into meat (both sides). In a 10-inch skillet, brown meat on both sides in hot shortening.
- Transfer meat to a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking dish. Stir remaining flour mixture into pan drippings in skillet. Stir in undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, and Worcestershire. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Pour over meat in baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour 20 minutes or until meat is tender. Serve over egg noodles, other pasta (gluten free, if needed), or alongside mashed potatoes.